Affiliated with

Help and Advice

The Accommodation Service at the University of Limerick has some advice to aid students searching off campus self-catering accommodation. This is advisory information and a quick reference to some of the main issues involved in the renting of private accommodation. It is not in any way or should not be taken as a substitute for legal advice regarding tenancies/tenants’ rights or obligations. The University accepts no liability whatsoever by virtue of placing any accommodation on its accommodation listing.


Living off campus for the first time can sometimes feel daunting so we have put together this guide to give you some helpful hints and tips. 


Choosing your area:

Areas within walking distance to the University include Castletroy, Monaleen, Annacotty, Golf Links Road, Rhebogue.

Bus links to the University


What to check houses for when viewing:

  • Dampness; is there any on the walls or ceilings
  • Is there sufficient ventilation?
  • How is the house heated?
  • What appliances are supplied and do they work?  – cooker,  fridge, freezer, electric showers, heating system
  • How are the bills paid? Whose name will the bill be in? Is it metered or bill pay?
  • What are the refuse arrangements?
  • What furniture is in the house and what condition is it in?
  • Are there smoke alarms and an escape route?
  • How many keys are there and who will have access? Check that doors have locks and are secure. Check that windows open and have secure locks.




Most Landlords will request a deposit of approximately 1 months’ rent. Always request a receipt.

Generally the Landlord will hold the deposit as security against damages, unpaid rent or a tenant breaching the tenancy agreement.

You may forfeit some or all of your deposit if you:

  1. 1. Do not give proper notice or leave before the tenancy agreement expires
  2. 2. Damage the property above normal wear and tear (ask for receipts for anything deducted as damages)
  3. 3. Leave unpaid bills or rent (again ask for receipts)

Students should note that their deposit does not cover rent when they have given notice to the landlord or have been served notice by the landlord to leave the property



Key questions to ask:

  • How much is the rent?
  • What does the rent include
  • How many weeks rent do you need to pay in advance?
  • What date is rent due and is it weekly or monthly?
  • How much notice should you give, if less than the minimum legal notice of 28 – 35 days in writing?
  • Ask for a rent book
  • Get receipts of all payments



Always request a copy of the LETTING AGREEMENT before you sign a lease / contract.


  • Request a rent book – This will set out how much rent is payable and specify contact details for your landlord.
  • Ensure the landlord gives a receipt for each payment and signs the rent book
  • Check if the landlord is registered with PRTB.
  • Establish the landlord’s right of access to the property.
  • Take pictures of all rooms in the houses and the exterior before you move inand when you move out. If possible have dates on the pictures. This is vital evidence for dispute resolutions
  • Keep all receipts, letters and bills related to the house.
  • Request an inventory – a list of all items in the house, plus any structural damage / wear and tear in the house. Ensure landlord and tenants sign it.



Tenants’ Rights and Obligations

A full list of tenants and landlords rights and responsibilities are outlined in the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 available at . A quick guide is also available on .

This is not applicable if the house is owner occupied.


Landlords should ensure that they are covered by standard public liability insurance and fire and theft insurance before renting a property. Students are advised to insure their personal belongings, as it is unlikely that the property owner’s policy will cover personal effects.



Students are required to make good any damage they or their friends may do to the property of effects of the property owner, provided that such damage is not due to normal wear and tear.


Student Problems

Unsuitable accommodation, financial difficulty, loneliness, nervous strain, study difficulty are the sort of problems students may experience. If you do experience accommodation difficulties, please call to the Accommodation Office, Student Centre for guidance. If you experience any of the other problems listed, a counselling service is available to you free of charge. Call to Room CM073 for all queries regarding counselling.


Legal Agreements

Students are advised to exercise extreme caution before entering into tenancies for long periods.

Any agreement made with a landlord is binding in law, whether it is made verbally or in writing. In the interest of both parties it is strongly recommended that the agreement is in writing.


If you are unsure of the exact terms of the agreement do not sign it until you have sought advice. The agreement is designed to clarify the rights and duties of both householder and student tenant(s) and so help avoid unnecessary disputes.

Tenancy Termination

The landlord may terminate without specifying grounds the first 6 months, after which the landlord can terminate under specific grounds (See Residential Tenancies Act 2004).

Shorter notice periods apply where terminate is for non-compliance with tenancy obligations (7 days for anti-social behaviour, 28 days for other breaches) and the parties may agree a shorter notice period at the time of termination.

Dispute Resolution

The Private Residential Tenancy Board (PRTB) has been set up to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants. Anyone wishing to refer a dispute to the PRTB should contact them directly in the first instance and discuss the matter.


Respect your Neighbours

When you move into your chosen home you should respect your neighbours and the community you live in. There are many families that may be living near you and we ask students to act responsibly.


Useful Links

Please Wait...